COVID-19 GOVERNMENT PRESS CONFERENCE SUMMARY -12.01.2021
Who was on today’s panel?
The Home Secretary, Priti Patel, Martin Hewitt, Chair of the National Police Chief’s Council, and Dr Vin Diwakar, the NHS Medical Director for London.
Update on Covid-19 cases
Total deaths are 83,203 in the U.K. 1,243 deaths today with a COVID positive result.
Update on vaccination rollout
No figures given today.
General summary of points raised by the panel:
- Priti Patel says although rules are “crystal clear”, there is a minority of rule breakers who are putting others at risk.
- Martin Hewitt stated that 45,000 fixed penalty notices had been issued in the U.K. to those breaking lockdown restrictions.
- Dr Vin Diwaker said we should all behave as if we have the virus. A new Nightingale wing has been opened in London to treat patients who do not have COVID-19.
- The panel have assured the public that the vaccine centres are safe and fit for purpose.
- Priti Patel said we are to use our judgement when going out as to whether it will be essential. She also repeated yesterday’s message that exercise must remain local.
- The panel said they are working towards getting other key workers such as teachers, supermarket staff and police vaccinated. Priti Patel said they are working with the relevant committee to ensure progress is being made.
Further info can be found on the Government website here.
Finally, a gentle reminder from us. If you, or anybody close to you is struggling. Please do not hesitate to contact the following numbers:
As we enter #lockdown please remember, you are not alone! If you need to talk, you might find these helpful:— Temporary Inspector Milnes (@SYP_CMilnes) January 5, 2021
📞 Samaritans 116 123
📞 Mind 0300 123 3393
📞 Calm 0800 58 58 58
📞 Women’s Aid 0808 2000 247
📞 Age UK 0800 678 1602
📞 Childline 0800 1111
📞 YoungMinds 0800 018 2138